Design Changes By Year
6.0L POWER STROKE DIESEL CHANGES BY MODEL YEAR
2003 MODEL YEAR CHANGES
• Early into the 2003 MY, the oil supply line for the turbocharger was changed from a quick-connect fitting to a collared fitting and sealed with a larger o-ring to reduce the risk of leaking.
• Late in the 2003 model year, the wiring harnesses were relocated so that both wiring harnesses are no longer routed on the same path. This was said to improve reliability; the previous routing method was likely contributing to wire chafing.
• Midway through the 2003 model year, a sleeve in the HPOP (high pressure oil pump) cover for the high pressure oil discharge tube was removed and the sealing surface was machined for the o-ring instead.
• A revised injector clevis was introduced midway through the 2003 MY to reduce wear inside the injector.
2004 MODEL YEAR CHANGES
Unless otherwise noted, the serial number cutoff for the following changes is 6155637 for engines built in Indianapolis, IN, and 0094580 for engines built in Huntsville, AL. The build date cutoff for the following changes is September 29th, 2003. Earlier 2004 MY trucks were fitted with 2003 MY engines.
• New, more efficient piston bowl (combustion chamber) design introduced to improve emissions.
• Glow plug shortened by 1.2 mm to coincide with new piston design. Do not attempt to use 2003 MY glow plugs in a 2004+ MY engine; glow plug to piston contact will occur.
• Six M8 fasteners in center of oil pan eliminated and a stronger upper oil pan casting introduced. Revised upper oil pan is compatible with previous model year engines.
• New camshaft with revised lobe separation angle, lift, and duration; not compatible with previous MY engines.
• Water pump impeller size increased from 90 mm to 100 mm diameter for improved coolant flow and cooling capacity. Not interchangeable with previous MY engines.
• New FICM (fuel injection control module) bracket with larger insulators, designed to improve reliability of FICM by isolating from engine vibration.
• Upgraded, new "wavy" high pressure oil rail. Reduces engine noise, improves fuel economy, and reduces pressure drop in injectors. The updated oil rail holds a higher volume of oil than the 2003 MY engine.
• Revised HPOP to meet demands of new, high volume oil rail. V-pump design replaces previous swash plate design.
• ICP sensor relocated to front right oil rail (passenger side), can be removed without pulling the valve cover.
• Removable, reusable heat shield added to the IPR sensor.
• Glow plug control module bracket repositioned in order to be compatible with repositioned ICP sensor. Not interchangeable with previous model year engines.
• Glow plug harness and rocker arm carrier revised to increase serviceability and make the glow plug harness easier to access. Not interchangeable with previous model year engines.
• Injector plungers coated with DLC (diamond like carbon) coating to reduce injector wear.
• Injector connector clip repositioned from the 9 o'clock position to the 12 o'clock position. This helped with serviceability, as some of the clips were difficult to access.
• EGR throttle blade added for emissions purposes.
• Cross over section in rear of intake manifold eliminated.
• Square EGR cooler replaces previous model year's round cooler.
• Due to the new high pressure oil rail, the crankcase breather was relocated and externally mounted.
• 3 fins added to the turbocharger's compressor wheel to reduce noise. Spacers on the turbocharger mount removed, not required on redesigned turbocharger.
• Revised rear crankshaft oil seal.
2005 MODEL YEAR CHANGES
• Peak torque increased from 560 lb-ft to 570 lb-ft.
• Fuel line trap added to the fuel supply line to prevent fuel from draining from the secondary filter housing; not interchangeable with previous model year engines.
• Revised VGT (variable geometry turbocharger) control valve for quicker response. 200 micron filter screen added to oil inlet of control valve to filter debris. The updated VGT control valve is interchangeable with previous model year engines.
• Turbocharger bearings increased in length by 1 mm; more robust design, increased reliability.
• 2005 MY engines received a new, V4 high pressure oil pump. Flow is comparable to the previous HPOP, however response at low speeds was increased and the pump is a more robust design than previous models.
• IPR relocated to top of the HPOP through a new cast aluminum cover. IPR not interchangeable with previous MY engines.
• New high pressure oil rails with 2 mm longer ball tubes (designed to help with the assembly process); not interchangeable with previous MY engines.
• Relocated coolant inlet ports on the front engine cover to make room for revised power steering pump; covers are not interchangeable with previous MY engines.
• Improved EGR valve with revised shaft seal. Included new intake manifold designed specifically for the EGR valve. Neither are interchangeable with previous MY engines.
• Scoop added to exhaust up-pipe to smooth flow of exhaust gases to the EGR cooler. EGR throttle eliminated for 2005 MY.
2006 & 2007 MODEL YEAR CHANGES
• An upgraded oil drain tube for the turbocharger was introduced for the 2007 model year. It featured smooth mandrel bends, as opposed to the "kinked" bends of the earlier design. The revised drain tube is believed to have improved turbocharger reliability and longevity.
• 2007 model year engines received a revised oil drain passage in the turbocharger, further reducing reliability concerns with the Power Stroke's turbocharger